HARDWOOD vs SOFTWOOD
Kiln-dried hardwood weighs about twice as much as the same volume of softwood because it is denser. It contains almost twice as much potential heat. This means that you will have to load your stove less often if you purchase hardwood. Hardwoods tend to be the best firewood for heating and cooking. finelogs.co.uk produces firewood exclusively from hardwood.
KILN-DRIED FIREWOOD vs SEASONED FIREWOOD vs UNSEASONED FIREWOOD
When you are buying firewood, you have to consider the per kilowatt energy cost. Less moisture means more energy and a cleaner burn.
WHY IS THERE NO STANDARD PRICE FOR FIREWOOD?
- Energy content: Very soft woods have about half the energy of hardwoods such as birch or oak. Based on energy content, you might think they should cost about half as much. However, processing, transportation and storage costs are the same, so while the price of raw softwoods may be lower, expect to pay considerably more than half the cost of hardwoods.
- Dryness: Kiln-dried firewood costs more than green or seasoned wood, but those woods have only about half of the potential heat output.
- Piece size: Firewood processed in shorter lengths and split smaller usually costs more because of the additional handling and labour involved.
- Amount purchased: A bag of firewood will cost more per unit than the purchase of a full pallet or more.
- Delivered or not: Delivered wood is more expensive than wood you transport yourself.
finelogs.co.uk - always a great deal!